TUES 10/9 @ 6:30pm | 2e Film & Discussion with Dyslexia Advocates
Featuring illuminating interviews with students, parents, teachers, psychologists and therapists, 2e: Twice-Exceptional follows the personal journeys of a unique group of high school students in Los Angeles who have been identified as “twice exceptional” – gifted or highly gifted individuals with learning disabilities or differences.
WHEN | Tuesday, 10/9, 6:30 – 8:30 pm
WHERE | Media Center @ Stillwater Middle School, 523 W. Marsh Street, Stillwater
After the film, Erin Florin, LNP, of Dyslexia Advocates, will talk about the 2e diagnosis journey, and pathways to access student supports for socio-emotional or mental health needs that can accompany the stress and uncertainty of figuring out how to address learning differences. We’ll dedicate the final half hour to film discussion and Q&A with Erin.
- Dyslexia Advocates
- Pacer Center Advocacy Publications on Special Education Rights
- International Dyslexia Association | Gifted and Dyslexic: Identifying and Instructing the Twice Exceptional Student Fact Sheet
- Minnesota Department of Education FAQ | Navigating the School System When a Child is Struggling with Reading or Dyslexia (2015)
- Hoagies’ Gifted Education Page | Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and Dyscalculia
- Edutopia | Accommodating Students With Dyslexia
- Podcast | The Dyslexia Quest
- St. Croix Valley Gifted resources | Twice Exceptional (2e) Learners
- NAGC Position Paper | Ensuring Gifted Children with Disabilities Receive Appropriate Services: Call for Comprehensive Assessment
- NAGC: Supporting Twice Exceptional Students
- Book | To Be Gifted and Learning Disabled: Strength-Based Strategies for Helping Twice-Exceptional Students With LD, ADHD, ASD and More, 3rd Edition by Susan M. Baum Ph.D., Robin Schader Ph.D. and Steven V. Owen Ph.D., 2018 NAGC Book of the Year Award recipient
- Book | Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger’s, Depression, and Other Disorders (2nd edition) by James T. Webb, Ph.D., et al.
- Video | Dr. James T. Webb, Ph.D., lecture at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2e Newsletter – Main Site and Sample Issues
- Twice-Exceptional Learners: An Annotated Bibliography from 2009 – 2013
- Tilt Parenting
- ADDitude Mag: What is ADHD (and What Is It Not?)
- 2e resources at Gifted Homeschoolers Forum
- Book | Boost: 12 Effective Ways to Lift Up Our Twice-Exceptional Children by Kelly Hirt
- Global #gtchat
- A Practical Guide to Mental Health & Learning Disorders for Every Educator How to Recognize, Understand, and Help Challenged (and Challenging) Students Succeed (Revised & Updated Edition) by Myles L. Cooley, Ph.D.